- St. Olaf College - B.A. Math and Computer Science 1981.
- William Mitchell College of Law - JD 1993, magna cum laude
- State of Minnesota
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Intellectual Property Law Section of the American Bar Association
- Computer Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association
Rod is a registered U.S. patent attorney of Shumaker & Sieffert. His practice includes drafting and prosecution of patent applications in the computer arts, including applications directed to artificial intelligence and machine learning, automation and control, business applications, cloud computing, compilers, operating systems, computer graphics, databases, data storage, digital rights managmenet, security, networking, and mobile applications. He has been a patent attorney for over 25 years, drafting and prosecuting hundreds of U.S. patent applications and directing prosecution of patent applications outside the U.S. Prior to his legal career, Rod was a software engineer for several years.
- Contributing author to Electronic and Software Patents: Law and Practice, 1st Edition, BNA Books.
Rod has presented frequently on a variety of intellectual property topics to engineers, management and attornes at continuing legal education (CLE) seminars. Topics have included Patentability Opinions and Analysis of Patentability, IP Issues in Technology, Advanced Claim Drafting for Software, Business Methods and Bioinformatics, and USPTO Examiner Interviews.