- University of Wisconsin - B.S. Electrical Engineering 1990
- George Washington University Law School - J.D. 1994, with high honors, Order of the Coif, The George Washington Law Review
- State of Minnesota
- District of Minnesota
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA)
- Honorable Judge Jimmie V. Reyna IP Inn of Court
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
Steven J. Shumaker is a founding Principal of Shumaker & Sieffert. He is a registered U.S. patent attorney specializing in electronics, software, and medical device technologies. His practice focuses on patent preparation and prosecution, and patent infringement and validity counseling, with vast experience providing freedom-to-operate analysis and opinions.
Prior to founding Shumaker & Sieffert, Steve was a patent attorney with Fish & Richardson and 3M. During law school, he was a patent agent with Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, and served as a Patent Examiner at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Steve has particular technical expertise in medical devices, including implantable medical devices, surgical devices and medical instrumentation, video coding, audio coding, multimedia streaming, graphics processing, camera technology, color management, wireless communication, networking, data storage, software, and electrical circuits. He also manages large patent portfolios with pending applications in a wide array of countries around the world. Accordingly, Steve is adept at preparing patent applications for global protection, with an eye toward withstanding patent law variations among different countries, especially for electronics-, software- and medical device-related inventions.
Steve has been an adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Minnesota Law School since 2001, where he teaches patent law courses in Patent Prosecution Practice and Advanced Patent Prosecution Practice. He is also a Master in the Honorable Judge Jimmie V. Reyna IP Inn of Court, and participates in the AIPLA Electronic and Computer Patent Law Committee.
In the 2016 and 2017 editions of the IAM 1000, The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Magazine named Steve in its short list of recommended patent lawyers for patent prosecution in Minnesota. Minnesota Law and Politics magazine has identified Steve as a Minnesota Super Lawyer.
- USPTO Issues Final Rules for Implementation of First-Inventor-to-File Features of America Invents Act, Feb. 2013.
- Specific Improvements to Computer-related Technology Are Not Abstract Under Alice 101 Framework (Enfish LLC v. Microsoft)
- Patents and Standards: Practice, Policy and Enforcement, AIPLA/BNA 2018.
Moderator, AIPLA Electronic and Computer Law Summit, San Diego, 2012
Moderator, AIPLA, Electronic and Computer Law Summit, San Jose, 2013
Moderator, AIPLA Electronic and Computer Law Summit, Dallas, 2015
Co-Speaker, AIPLA Webinar, Conflicts of Interest in Patent Law: Novel Problems with Non-obvious Solutions, 2016